YB Chua Tee Yong

The young and dynamic YB Chua Tee Yong

I was recently invited to a dinner hosted by the newly appointed Deputy Minister of Youth and Sports, YB Gan Ping Sieu. It was intended to be a function where the Chinese Youth leaders could take part in open dialogue with YB Gan himself.

I arrived slightly late that night, giving the usual Klang Valley excuse of 'traffic jam'. However, after I had settled in, I noticed a quiet gentleman sitting at a table busily writing on a notepad.

I immediately recognised him as the eldest son of MCA President, Dato Seri Chua Soi Lek, the newly appointed Deputy Minister of Agriculture, YB Chua Tee Yong.

I have not been active in politics for many years now, but I used to be quite involved in the MCA Youth about a decade ago. I quit politics when I realised I was more passionate in the pursuit of educating young people than in the pursuit of endless political maneuvering.

But, that's enough about me and my 'political background' - Back to Tee Yong.

Since I had always been sceptical about the emergence of Tee Yong and his 'sudden rise' in politics, I took this opportunity to scrutinise him thoroughly. I studied him carefully whilst he was preoccupied with himself, blissfully unaware of the intense observation by a stranger seated two seats away.

I quietly watched him in action.

After writing on his notepad for a while, he was suddenly approached by a group of young people. He soon became engrossed in conversing with them in Chinese.

"Hmm... his Mandarin is not poor," I thought to myself.

Seconds later his mobile rang. He apologised to them (I thought "And, not a bad mannered young man either.") and then took the call. The young people walked away and let him concentrate on a seemingly important call.

He finished the call, put the mobile on the table and looked around. It was then that he noticed that I was watching him intensely.

I walked over, introduced myself briefly, and then sat back down in my chair and continued to observe him in action.

He next struck up a conversation with Dato Ang Lai Hee, a veteran Chinese youth leader and a highly visible businessman. They were soon engrossed in a discussion of swiftlet farming.

Their conversation was interrupted, however. The dialogue session started and Tee Yong was invited to speak. Having not met him prior to today's encounter, I decidedly wanted to rate him as a politician.

"He is quite good in public speaking," I thought to myself, only seconds after he started his speech. It usually does not take me more than five seconds of observation to tell if someone is a good public speaker or not.

No, he was not the charismatic type, nor did he possess the oratory prowess of Khairy Jamaluddin. What he DID have though, was this accountant-like calm and a great sense of organisation.

He took his time to talk about his priorities as one who was newly appointed to the job and what he had already done in his capacity as the Deputy Minister of Agriculture. He counted some of the inefficiencies in the current system and suggested ways of overcoming them. He cited statistics and numbers confidently. The grasp for numbers is the one area I usually look into when I rate someone, particularly one in the field of politics.

I must say that Tee Yong passed my tests with flying colours. Little did I expect this young man to be so on top of his job.

I found myself murmuring, "It is true that Tee Yong the politician is as a result of circumstances, but this man will go rather far on his own. He has indeed inherited the necessary political qualities from his old man..."

I left before the function ended, as he and YB Gan Ping Sieu were both swamped by the Chinese youth leaders for one photography session after another.

However, I am extremely glad to see these two newly emerging MCA politicians, Ping Sieu and Tee Yong, taking centre stage. They are passionate young leaders who wish to contribute toward nation building.

Though it is usually a tough road ahead for any aspiring politicians, I wish them both well and hope to see them work sincerely to better our country.

“Life is about constantly going beyond limits!”
- Erican Chong

Comments

  1. A good country always need good leadership. Hope chua junior can live up to that. Too early to tell at this time though. PT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...he looks so....young. o.o

    Well the future belongs to the young...we must put our faith in their ability to look after what we have left them. ^_^

    Douglas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

4 reasons why Erican College is the best in Malaysia

In Memoriam - Mr Yong Yoke

What is your Dad?